Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Space Pirate Captain Himilaya Proctor

I still draw, I swear!  I do amateur (aka: learning the ropes still) 3D modeling too.  I just don't find most of my work worthy of posting is all.  A few things to my Instagram profile now and then even!--though their resizing algorithm is rather garbage for pencil drawings...

So as of late my usual wish-I-was-a-comic-book-artist styled work has been total fucking ass.  Something has caused  my brain and hand to be at civil war and refuse converse with the enemy and it's been both a creative dump and a frustrating mess with only one crumpled sheet of paper over a lost temper thankfully.  The rest is just leered at and imagined on fire as I laugh maniacally.  Somehow during a frustrating night I tried this rendering method and the warring factions of my brain and hand signed a cease-fire agreement for now.

Anyway, for the past two weeks I've only been able to render doodles like this for some reason.  Which is weird specifically because this exact style is the one I have NOT been able to do properly (okay, with a few decent exceptions numbering under 10, and I'm not kidding) with pencil since I started carrying a sketchbook with me 95% of the time 14 years ago.  Charcoal is easier to do this with since it's more controllable in its innate messiness and smoothness, but specifically my pencil shading and rendering skills have always been runner-up at best.  It's a brave new frustrating world on normal sketchbook paper (60# probably) and 2B/4B graphite with a kneaded gum eraser to dab away highlights.

The black outline was added because it looked too plain and trying to shade all that area in pencil would have been a giant smudgy mess the instant I closed the sketchpad.  Slightly tweaked the contrast as scanning, and adjusted a tiny spot on his right-lats from a spec of something on the scanner glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment