Friday, July 2, 2010

Another Unfinished Robot



I've been playing with a pad of 90# cold press watercolor paper for the sake of mixed media work. Nothing against my beloved (and cheapo) 50# sketchpad, that's 10# lighter than most sketchpads, but it doesn't handle liquid at all. In fact 90# barely does either. I argue that 150# is a very nice baseline for any watercolor/ink wash, and that still buckles if you do any full-page washes.

The point of this new pad is also to convince myself to do more complete drawings so I can finally move closer to work I'd merrily put into a portfolio. So far it's not really working, but we'll see.

The evolution of this drawing was a loose idea hacked in with my trust erasable red pencil that became my sidekick in animation, my staple 2B graphite, and then black Micron 03 with 02 and 05 to touch up after. For the record, Microns are amazing pens with two problems: 1) no line width; these babies are consistent and stalwartly the size they're marked as, and 2) if you fail to get that last little click on the pen, that baby's gonna draw out dead right quick. #1 can be your ally actually, but I'm a big fan of line width variation within a single line, and they don't bleed at all, which makes up for any problems I might have with them.

Anyway, as you can see I ran into some issues with my drawing. Downside of not using any photo reference at all is that sometimes you don't take enough time to consider the mass of an object and have elements clip through each other or not match perspective. In this case, the left knee joint is sort of impossibly wrong and even the white out isn't helping much. Oh well, still gonna finish it up the ink later today and play with my watercolor pencils for some color testing and to inch closer to a decision if I like watercolor pencils or if they're a joke and a waste of my money.

There are a few more drawings from the past 1.5 weeks that haven't been scanned yet, but this one needed to be archived before anything else got fucked up in process of completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment