Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Messing around with digital painting some more

First of all: one had multiple hours doodling, correcting, adjusting, redrawing.  The second one only just got past the initial stage for adjusting/correction.

Okay, now I can safely babble away merrily.

As of late I've only done line drawing, hatching, and non-shaded illustrations.  It's what I'm most interested in, but I'm inconsistent at it.  Getting better, I swear.  Anyway, last week I dusted off my memories of how to paint (what I did the most of in college oddly) and have returned to trying out grayscale digital painting. Still prefer achromatic and monochromatic painting to full color, and have since before I learned just how colorblind I really was (standard male, not one of the other two rare variants).

So I've been messing around lately with 1940s themed concept art for a personal project and line-only drawings weren't working out so well on their own for me to practice the style.  This was the impetus to make me go back to rendered digital paintings instead of just a bunch of loose doodles for my planning.  Oh, and I always liked lowrider magazine camera angles and wanted to goof around with that.



 This was actually drawn on my Android tablet and scaled down on my computer. The Galaxy Note 10.1 only has resolution of 1280x800 pixels, so the art always looks less refined on a PC and really needs to be scaled down after.  It's got a few goofy spots I can't stop staring at, but it still turned out better than I expected for my first real attempt at sitting down and painting a car in years... or possibly ever.  Not sure I ever seriously gave it a shot before.


This was done on my Wacom and 1/4 or less time has been spent shaping it up, fixing angles and trying to figure out what needs to be erased/redone.  I'm posting it not as a comparison but because I'm unsure I want to keep working on it.  Neither drawing is 1:1 to the source photo so I've had to do a lot of guessing of where parts are I honestly guessed wrong more than I'm gonna admit, even moreso on this one to the point that I think I'd rather start all over instead block in half of the car all over to figure out where I went wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment